Saturday, November 26, 2011

Goodwill Hunting

(November 25, 2011)
I love thrifting, absolutely love it. The thrill of shopping is already awesome..but the excitement of finding something you saw and loved, trying it on and getting a perfect fit, THEN seeing it's for a low price THEEEENNN seeing it's 1/2 off. OMG!! It's almost too much, lol. Let me get to the point before I begin to hyperventilate from the memories. 
Yesterday my cousins and I went to my aunt's house for rehearsal, we're performing a praise dance for an upcoming Christmas event at our church. Fast forward a few hours, practice was over and I hopped in the car with my sis, and my three cousins, one  of whom was Neecy of The Ivy League Clique check her out!! We were going to stop at Walgreens on the way home, but she suggested we stop in this wonderful Goodwill in the area..umm 
best idea of the en-TIRE day. 
So the five of us wander into the store, all the while I'm going on about how wonderful and store-like it looked on the outside..the sign lit up! Like a real sign..like a Target sign or something. I was impressed. 
At first we walked together, exploring the territory,  but we eventually split off into our desired departments, half-heartedly hunting for goods while periodically yelling to each other when we found something nice that interested us or anyone in the group. The first find of the night was a pair of spikes (for track&field) that my sister found. She might do a post, check it out.
I got some great finds on this trip..completely unexpected. I usually have luck when thrifting, but everything I found was either vintage or vintage inspired, lasting classic pieces. 
On to the pictures!!

I didn't actually buy these shoes, for the simple fact that they didn't fit! The y fit my sister, so she tried them on for me, but they aren't her style. Sigh, they're so cute and Barbie-ish..not a huge Barbie fan but you get the idea.
 These shoes right here!! YES!! #winnings. I saw these on my way to the fitting room sitting on top of a rack, picked them up without thinking twice. I was wearing thick socks, but I put them and and promptly called Neecy over! Then I squealed like a little girl haha. 
 I mean, look.at.them. LOOK! Leather outer, synthetic sole and inner. ALDO'S!!!
They're very elegant. I reasonable heel. Can NOT wait to wear them :)
This is my Cruella de Vil-esque vintage top! I was a bit indisposed during photo time so I didn't take a pic of it on. But, I plan on wearing it for Christmas so..ya. This was the last item I picked up before cutting myself off from further shopping..sometimes it just has to be done, lol. The fit is just to die for. The off-shoulder detailing comes down to a semi-plunged neckline that just frames that area to a T! Just lovely. The waist is fitted and comes down to a flared hi-lo hip..I tell you, this top wants to be a dress lol. 
This very cute, crop-sleeve jacket was part of the first group of things I took to the fitting room. It has a very nice fit. I usually don't like that sleeve length (not sure why, maybe it's because I roll my sleeves up a lot), but I made an exception for this one. I think this is a piece will transition well from season to season. 
I love the button detail on this jacket. Very cute. I just keep getting more and more excited as I approach the ending of this post, I can't wait to publish it and share my happiness with you guys :). Moving on! :p
I've been hunting for a shirt dress for a long time. When I saw this shirt, I had such a strong urge to try it on. My thing with button down shirts..my boobs. I lost some weight this summer, so I went from a large to a medium. Button downs in a size medium flatter my body much better than a large, but my boobs didn't get the memo on that. Everything will button so nicely then I get to that button right in the middle of my cleavage and it barely holds. And if it does, it just puckers *not cute*. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when it buttoned up so well. 

 Look at all the little details. The only downfall of this garment was that it was missing a button *left-hand photo* where the black piece is supposed to button across. It's such a cute accent. It shouldn't be too hard to find a button similar to the one in the right-hand photo. Or I might just add a button that's dramatically different but 
accents the entire outfit. 
Aside from the details, I also love the fit. It has the most adorable A-line, Empire fit to it. The line hits a bit below the bust so it doesn't give you that "I just tied a belt underneath a shapeless dress to give it some shape" look or scream "look how huge my breasts are" at whoever sees you. I can't wait to wear this dress. It just oozes with 
color-blocking possibilities. 
I've been searching high and low for a strand of pearls. Everywhere. Forever21, Charlotte Russefived!! The necklace is actually quite long, about down to my navel, maybe farther. I'll post pictures..or maybe a video of me wearing all these things.
This was the very last item I picked up before checking out. It's a little brocade make-up bag. I've been needing one for a while. I know it's just a make-up bag, and it's not going anywhere but in my bathroom, but I was really picky about buying one. I didn't like any of the ones I saw around, not to mention the price. Umm, $10 max, thanks lol. I almost thought to use this as a mini clutch, but the zipper takes away from the class..if it had a flap over the zipper..or maybe just a magnetic button, I would definitely use it as a clutch instead of a makeup bag.
What's in the drawer?
Pink Lace Pumps: Dolce by Pierre
Nude Side-cutout Pumps: Aldo, $7.00 >> $3.50
Off-shoulder Black Top: Susan Roselli for Vijack $9.00 >> $4.50
Striped Blazer: Jesa & Jonnie $8.00 >> $4.00
Blue Shirt Dress: Jonathan Saunders for Target $9.00 >> $4.50
Pearls: $8.00 >> $4.00
Make-up Bag: $2.00 >> $1.00
My entire purchase came up to $22.86 after tax. This was one of my best purchases ever. I hope to return to this particular Goodwill in the near future. It's a drive from where a live, by "a drive" I mean I have to get on the highway, but the things I found have compelled me to go back and see what other goodies are there ;]. 

~Amanda
           
         

2 comments:

  1. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm still uber jealous of your black top, but it fits you so damn friggin well, I've gotten over it. LOL I don't think you know how funny it is to see you telling yourself you won't look for any other pieces...and then you find something and try it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, it's all thanks to you, though. I'll let you know next time I come there.
    And I knooowwwwww, bad Amanda haha

    ReplyDelete