Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Twisted Sista

(November 4, 2011)

PSA: This blog will now include posts about my hair..I honestly can't not talk about my hair, I love it so much!! 
The End
Moving on..last week I visited my cousin/best friend/big sis at her university and decided to twist my hair; half because I wanted to do a mini length check, and half because I wanted to stretch my curls out a bit. I forgot to take pictures of the actual twists, buuuuut I did take pictures of the twists taken down, then fluffed out.


Check out those edges!

My sister showed me an awesome tip to keep my edges flat. I reccommended it to my cousin, even though she's relaxed, I figure if it can keep my kinky curly locks flat, it can do the same for her.
Step #1: Find an old pair of panty hose/stockigs/tights and cut off the bottom half of one leg (approximately mid calf). I like to use the knee-highs that come in a box. That way you can just grab and use one, no need to cut.
Step #2: Moisturize your edges with whatever leave in conditioner or oil you like. I use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I love this stuff and highly recommend it to my fellow naturals!
Step #3: Add a little bit of hair gel or wrapping mousse to your edges; these products are optional. I use Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel. It doesn't leave buildup or flake.

Step #4: Then, using a paddle brush or an old toothbrush (you already know that trick, lol) brush your edges GENTLY! This will distribute the product into your hair while helping smooth it down.
Step #5: Tie the sock snugly around your head at the bridge of your nose (it'll make sense in a bit, lol), you can double knot or tie a bow. Then, once it's secure, pull the sock up onto your edges, don't leave any hair peeking out in the front. 
Step #6: Leave the sock in place for about 15 minutes or long, then untie it in the back and remove. DO NOT try to pull it down, this defeats the purpose of the whole thing. And there you have it. Smooth and flat! 


I haven't been able to really do a length check. Once I straighten my hair again, I'll post before and after pics comparing it to the last time my hair was straightened, in April. If you decide to try the sock trick, feel free to post pics, mention products you love and whether your natural, relaxed or anything in between :).

~Amanda
           
         

No comments:

Post a Comment